Retirement Village and Care Home FAQs


How do I come into your Care Home?

You’ll firstly need to be assessed by a NASC assessor from your local DHB. They will assess whether your level of needs require Rest Home Care. If you choose to come to Rangiura, arrange to come visit, then  you’ll need to sign an admissions agreement.

Who pays for my care?

If you cannot fund your care yourself, a needs assessor can set up a means test through Work and Income to see if you meet the criteria for partial or full subsidised care.

What is a care plan?

A care plan is a personal plan that details who you are and what you like to do. It provides valuable information about likes and dislikes, skills, hobbies and medical requirements. A care plan helps us to give you the best, personal care possible.

How will I get my medication?

Our Clinical team facilitate all medications and will bring your medication to you when needed.

Can I practice my own cultural beliefs?

We have an open-door policy for residents from all religious and cultural affiliations. We have in house church services from the local churches every week. Local kaumatua available on request also.

Do you have a hairdresser?

Yes we have a part-time hairdresser that services the residents from rest home and village in our inbuilt salon facility. Additional charges apply.

What can I bring for my room?

We want you to feel as comfortable as possible in your own room, so we allow you to bring personal items such as small furniture items and nic nacs to decorate your room to make it feel like its yours. We also allow small electrical appliances if they have been tested. You may also like to bring your own duvet, bedspread and pillows. All personal items including clothing to be named please.

Can I have a TV or SKY in my room?

Permitting the space available, you can bring your own TV for personal use. You may have to pay for an additional charge for a satellite instalment if there isn’t one available.

Do you have WiFi?

Yes, we have WiFi available across all of our Care Homes.

Can my family still care for me?

Our job is to care for you, though we do understand the importance of having family included in your care. There are many ways for your family to help care for you, by assisting at mealtimes, joining in with activities and visiting other residents who don’t get as many visitors.

What kind of food is served?

We have a National Nutritionist approve our menus. We also cater for special dietary requirements.

Can I have alcohol?

We allow alcohol, but please talk to a senior nurse to see if alcohol would interfere with any medications you are taking.

How is my laundry handled?

We have Housekeepers who look after your washing and bedding. It’s important to label ALL clothing before arrival.

How will I spend my day?

We allow for a lot of choice in your day as we want to give you as much independence as possible. There is an activities programme every day, as well as outings throughout the week. It’s up to you how much you would like to participate in, but we give you the option of what you would like to do.

What kind of activities are available?

Our Activity Coordinator will cater activities to what residents want and what is available in the area, but all will follow a programme guideline.

What is Enduring Power of Attorney?

An Enduring Power of Attorney (EPA) is a legal document that protects your wishes and assigns a trusted person (an ‘attorney’) to make decisions on your behalf.

What is a NASC assessor?

A NASC assessor is from the DHB and conducts needs assessments for aged people who may require Rest Home Care. They determine what level of support is needed and what care the person requires.


How do I get the relevant information before “buying in” to a Village?

We want you to be comfortable with the knowledge that you have made the right decision for yourself based on all the information available. You will receive a copy of the Village’s Disclosure Statement, Occupation Right Agreement, Code of Resident’s Rights and Code of Practice with this brochure.

What is the disclosure statement?

A disclosure statement is required by law and sets out the information about the ownership, management, and the supervision of the Village. It includes information about the entering and leaving the Village (occupancy tenure), the state of the Village, the services and facilities offered and the arrangements for maintenance and refurbishment. The costs of entering, living in, and what you can expect to get back after you leave are explained in the Disclosure Statement. It includes important information about the cooling off period after you sign the Occupation Right Agreement, during which you cancel the agreement and get a full refund of any deposit paid. You must receive a copy of our Disclosure Statement before you sign your Occupation Right Agreement.

What is the cooling off period?

You have a 15 working day “cooling off period” after you sign the Occupation right Agreement. At any time during that period, you may cancel the agreement by giving us written notice. There is no penalty for cancelling during that time and you will receive your deposit back with interest. Note, however, that your lawyer may still charge you a fee for their services. If your unit is under construction when you sign your Occupation Right Agreement, you also have the right to cancel if the unit is not completed within the six months of the date for completion specified in the agreement.

Should we seek advice and, if so, from whom?

Under the Retirement Villages Act 2003, any intending resident must receive independent legal advice before signing the Occupation Right Agreement. The same lawyer who witnesses your signature on the Occupation Right Agreement must also certify that they have explained to you the general effect of the Occupational Right Agreement and its implications.

It is always useful to discuss your options and decision with your immediate family, other relatives and friends.

How do I apply for residence?

First, you will need to spend some time with one of our Village Managers to find out what our Villages can offer you.

When you have made the decision to buy into one of our Villages, you will need to complete an application form. On completing an application form, you will be asked to pay a holding deposit. The deposit will be held by the Statutory Supervisor. You will be sent an Occupation Right Agreement for review with your solicitor before you commit yourself, or sign any documents. A settlement date will then be agreed.

To whom do I address any concerns I might have while living in the Village?

The Village Manager is available and interested with you about anything you wish. We encourage you to discuss any ideas or concerns you may have with the Manager, whose door is always open. In addition to speaking to the Manager, there are regular resident meetings and an annual meeting. We also have a formal complaints process which you can access.

Are pets allowed?

Yes. We know how important a pet can be in a person’s life and so most small pets are welcome to live in the Village. It is the resident’s responsibility to look after them so that they don’t become a nuisance. Advance permission from the Village Manager is required for any pet to live in the Village. We will want to reach agreement up-front over the responsibilities of pet ownership, who will care for the pet when you cannot and what might happen if your neighbours subsequently complain about your pet. 

Who is the statutory supervisor and what is its role?

Each Village has its own statutory supervisor. It is their role to represent the collective best interests of the residents. The supervisor monitors the Village’s financial position, holds deposits and progress payments made for an ORA and secures the resident’s interest through a first registered encumbrance over the Village land. Rangiura consults with the statutory supervisor on matters which may affect the Village.

As a resident, how will my financial interest be protected?

Your content goes here. Edit or remove this text inline or in the module Content settings. You can also style every aspect of this content in the module Design settings and even apply custom CSS to this text in the module Advanced settings.

What is the re-licensing procedure?

When it is time for you to move on, Rangiura Trust will take on the responsibility to find a new resident. All costs and efforts which includes all marketing, open homes and contacts will be borne by Rangiura. No sales commissions are charged. All the refurbishment costs related to normal wear and tear will be met by Rangiura.

What is the Village outgoings payment?

What is the Village outgoings payment?

This fee is a monthly contribution towards the operating costs of the Village. This fee is payable for the term of the Occupation Right Agreement. All residents receive the following services covered by the Village monthly payment:

  • Land rates, water rates and building insurance
  • Communal gardening, grounds maintenance and rubbish collection
  • Maintenance and operation of the community facilities
  • Exterior maintenance and repairs of the villas
  • Village management and administration
  • Utility charges for the communal areas
  • Maintenance of the roadways, footpaths and communal areas
  • Cost for the replacement of minor capital items

The outgoing monthly fee is payable, until the termination date or any later agreed vacation date.

When is the right time to make a move into a Retirement Village?

Each person’s situation and desires are different. If you or your partner are planning your retirement future, you certainly want to make the most of it. A Retirement Village is specifically designed for retirees making it the perfect place to enjoy your life. Planning for the future is always wise.

What is a Retirement Village?

A Retirement Village offers you the independence and freedom of living in a private dwelling with the knowledge that support is available if you should need. You can share Village life with other residents with whom you share a number of commonalities such as similar-age but with varying interests and different circumstances. Your life is made easier because so many details are taken care of for you (such as home maintenance, rates, garden maintenance) which allows you to have a more relaxed, secure and worry-free lifestyle.

Do I have to participate in Village activities?

You can participate as much or as little as you wish. Living in a community of other people provides many opportunities for socialisation and making friends. Your privacy is respected but interaction with others is there if you want to be involved. The Village has a range of activities and outings available.

Some residents like to be totally involved while others prefer to live quietly. The choice is entirely yours; you decide just how much you want to be involved in the life of the Village.

What is the minimum age for entry into our Villages?

To live at one of our Villages, you must be at least 65 years old and be in good health at the time of entry.

Can family and friends stay with me?

Guests are always welcome! Visitors can stay up to 4 weeks at a time. If they intend to stay longer, then prior consent must be obtained from the Village Manager.